|Marriage & Wedding Information|
Seven Ways to Survive a Remodel (And Save Your Marriage) Tips from Pisa Design, Inc
Remodels are tough on everyone. The house is out of order, the refrigerator is out of pudding, and the family wiener dog is out of sorts as he searches for his food dish. To help ease the stress of a remodel, we suggest you follow the list of tips below.
1. Invest in "his" and "hers" robes. During a remodel, your house in no longer your own. Everyone from Pete the plumber to Earl the electrician walks through your home at all hours with little regard for privacy. If you'd rather they concentrate on the work in front of them instead of you walking by them, we suggest you invest in some robes-preferable terry cloth for their comfort and thickness.
2. Stuff your speed dial with take-out. Even if the kitchen isn't part of your remodeling project, it's a good idea to create a robust file of take-out and delivery menus from local restaurants. Place settings and candles on a cardboard box where your dining room table used to be aren't motivation for anyone to prepare five-course meals. And you never know when you may find yourself without electricity, natural gas or water. Plus, delivery guys need the tips.
3. Get to know that guy with his name stitched to his shirt. Prior to starting your project, kindle a relationship with your local gas station attendant. Buying bottled water, dairy products and using the facilities will be a much more pleasant experience when you know the person behind the name. You may even get a smile every now and then.
4. Know when to drop everything and run. Just as you would for a double date with the couple across the street, devise a plan of escape. Even the best-run projects can try your patience and linger on with no end in sight. Tack the phone number and picture of a close friend or favorite hotel to your refrigerator (if you still have one). Knowing that there's an alternate site to the natural disaster that was once your orderly home may be all the therapy you need until the project is completed.
5. Hold off on conversations that start with "How was your day, honey?" Conducting heart-to-heart conversations around the dinner table during a remodeling process is like carpeting your bathroom-not a good idea. Even if you delay such discussions until later in the evening, you may find it difficult to concentrate as you gaze at the rec room through a hole in the floor.
6. Get-togethers are great-but not at your house. Family and friends, they mean well. But under no circumstances should you invite anyone over before the project is complete. Wait for the paint to dry before you break out the fondue set. Even if she wants to view the work in progress, you know full well Aunt Mabel is bound to say something about the entry tile that will send you into orbit and drop you back on Earth feeling sick to your stomach.
7. Do not open until X-Mas. You may be tempted to plan a party or host a family holiday shortly after the anticipated project completion date. Don't. If you thought picking out a faucet for the master bath made you sweat, try cutting up jicama for your party and then noticing a blotch of ceiling paint on the backsplash. Even under the perfect conditions, remodeling always takes longer than anticipated. There's plenty of touch-up work required up to a month after the tradesmen call it a wrap. And it's not like the perfect accessories are just waiting to be snapped up at your neighbor's garage sale. Our best advice to you is that you plan your first party six months after the estimated project completion date.
We hope these survival tips come in handy as you plan for your next remodeling project. If you're tired of survival tips and are looking for someone who will offer you a wonderful remodeling experience, hire top-notch professional interior designers or architects who come highly recommended by friends, family or associates.
Lisa Peck and Kristen Mengelkoch are partners and principal interior designers at Pisa Design, Inc. in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They are experts in both remodel and new construction residential projects.
Wedding and Bridal Jewelry
So your not one of those fabulous actresses or models who has the luxury of the finest gems and diamonds being loaned to them by the likes of Harry Wintson.
Wedding Photography: Preserving the Memories
A person's wedding can be one of the most important times in their life. They will have memories that they want to treasure forever and then pass on to their children. Wedding photography helps them do this. Having pictures taken at the wedding and then at the reception can capture those precious memories in freeze-frame and help you keep them forever.
Bridesmaids Gifts: a Token of Love, Appreciation and Affection
No one has as much fun as the bride to be on her wedding day, except, perhaps, her bridesmaids. Bridesmaids enjoy all of the fun of a wedding without the stress and headaches of planning the blessed affair. Bridesmaid's gifts are a popular item among wedding parties and the brides honored attendees. Often the bride to be offers bridesmaids gifts to her wedding party at a rehearsal dinner, in order to thank her friends and family for participating in her union ceremony, and recognize them for all of their assistance during the planning and preparation stages of her wedding.
Top 40 Marriage Quotations
"Is it better for a woman to marry a man who loves her than a man she loves. "-- Anonymous
The (American) Bride Wore Red
Increasing numbers of American brides are thinking about doing the formerly unthinkable -- getting married in a bold red gown.
Todays Wedding Is Brought To You In Association With ...
With the cost of today's weddings spiraling to astronomical levels, some couples are now looking for sponsorship to help them have the big day that they have always dreamed of. This new trend of "selling out" on your big day has recently hit America by storm. Enterprising couples promise publicity to companies by mixing business cards with the confetti, a mention in the bride or groom's speech and even a hyperlink on the their wedding day website. Sponsors are also mentioned in the wedding invitations and thank you letters and in some instances, may even be invited to the wedding to network.
Me Tarzan! You Jane!
Once upon a time a caveman, while out for a walk, came a across a young woman. Struck by her beauty he immediately tried to get her attention by violently thumping his chest, his good imitation of Tarzan's victory cry reverberating through the length and breadth of the forest.
Marriage Counseling Tips: 7 Ways to Handle Conflict in Marriage
How do you handle arguments that lead to heated exchanges with your spouse? Do you value being right over preserving the quality of your relationship? And how long do you stay angry after you've had a fight?
Wedding Planning Ideas and Guidelines
Wedding planning is a difficult task for everyone. Unless you have done it before, you don't know all the answers. But, you can find them!
The Bigger the Carat the Better the Wedding?
Ahh . . . sweet romance.
To Stay Married, Keep Dating
One of my favorite memories from last year was not watching my young daughters rip into their Christmas presents, or seeing them perform in the school talent show. No, my happiest recollection was the date my husband and I went out on one stormy Tuesday night in November.
Thoughts from Deik and Kims Wedding, for You and Your Marriage
Deik and Kim, remember that marriage is a COVENANT relationship. It is not merely a contract of convenience, nor a promise to live together as long as each still feels good about the other. It is a COVENANT to love and care for each other until parted by death, or until the coming of our Lord.
Negotiation Strategies Especially for Couples
These guidelines will help you avoid the three most common negotiating mistakes couples make: 1) Failure to prepare before the negotiation with your partner; 2) Caving in too quickly to avoid tension or to keep the peace; and 3) Stubbornly pushing too hard for your own solution.
Wedding Reception; From Trendy to Traditional
Wedding receptions are not as formal as they once were, more and more couples are foregoing the expensive catered wedding receptions and coming up with some innovative ideas on how to throw them.
How to Have a Sizzler of a Honeymoon! Article No. 4
When Maria Callas first appeared on the international scene, she sang like a bird, looked like a small whale, and the only people who truly knew and loved her were the perennial ticket-holding opera lovers.
Design Your Own Beautiful Wedding Ring
It used to be that if you wanted to buy a nice custom-made wedding ring, you'd have to visit some fancy high-end jewelry store and be willing to part with a large portion of your wedding budget.
How to Choose the Perfect Headpiece and Veil for Your Facial and Body Features
All brides want to be beautiful on their wedding day, and often it is easy for them to picture themselves in a wedding gown. But once something is placed upon the head, the whole perception of self-image is altered. A well-designed veil will accent or de-emphasize certain facial or body features if chosen thoughtfully, as well as match the bride's personality, reflect the gown's features, and conform to the formality of the wedding and reception.
The Second Time - Another White Wedding?
That first wedding was a dream, a gorgeous long white wedding dress, a beautiful church, luscious bridesmaids and the groom in tails. Plus all the trimmings and a heavenly reception and a great honeymoon.
A Wedding Theme Can Rescue Your Wedding from Being Another Ho-Hum-Boring Disaster
Are you a Bride-to-Be? Wonderful! Congratulations! But what's that enormous cloud hanging over you? Of course! It's that insurmountable task you're thinking about all the time: "How am I going to create a beautiful and memorable Wedding Day out of thin air?"
Nine Ways to Save Money on Wedding Photography
Weddings are memorable events couples and their families want to remember forever, and what better way to capture these moments than by a camera. Weddings may be gone, but the feeling of joy will always stay because of the wonderful moments captured on film. And photography expenses shouldn't be too high if you want to have the nicest photos on your wedding day. Here are some ideas to help you get started in producing great photos on a budget.
|BridesMaid Gifts | Articles | site map | Area Rugs | Free Music Downloads| Little Giant Ladder|